Thursday, March 10, 2022

George I Pruden



Photographer: G. I. Pruden
Cortland, N. Y.

George I Pruden
(Sep 1856 - 1933)

This timeline was assembled from US Census, city directories and a small narrative on GenWeb by the grandson of G. I. Purden. There are some gaps but the locations are fairly clear.

1856
birth at Steuben, NY
1884 - 1885
as photographer 17-19 Main, Syracuse, NY;
1891 as photogrqapher in Cortland, NY, (per dated card shown below)
1892
as photographer Cortland, NY
1893 May 17
sells gallery in Cortland, NY, to George Edwin Butler
1900 -1905
as photographer Seneca Falls, NY
1910
as photographer Buffalo, NY
1920
as photographer Jersey City, NJ
1922 - 1932
as salesman/solicitor White Plains, NY
1933
death (unconfirmed - wife listed as widow in 1934 city directory)

The cabinet card at the left might have been finished after about 1885 and before 17 May 1893.

Middletown (TX) Times - 19 Nov 1892


photographer G I Pruden
Cortland NY
example from auction site

The cabinet card at the right was contributed by KFenton.

"Ellen Beach. Photo taken in 1891 when Ellen was 29 years old. She was born in 1862 and died in 1944."

photographer: G I Pruden
Courtland, NY
from contributor KFenton
(finished in 1891)

The cabinet card at the right was contributed by Dawn.

"The young child in the photo was born 9 January 1897 in Seneca Falls. Based on her approximate age and the dates you list for Pruden's work in Seneca Falls, I date this photograph to around 1900."

photographer - G I Pruden
83 Fall Street, Seneca Falls, NY
example from contributor Dawn
photographer: G I Pruden
Courtland, NY
example from Kate Keller on Flickr
(finished sometime around
1892 to May of 1893)
photographer: G I Pruden
Seneca Falls, NY
example from Kate Keller on Flickr
(finished sometime near
Oct 1897; thanks to further research from contributor DAWN!)
photographer: G I Pruden
Homer, NY
example from Kate Keller on Flickr
(It is still unknown when
Pruden worked in Homer, NY)


photographer: Prudden
Jamestown, NY
example from auction site
(Note different spelling)

photographer: Prudden and Tompkins
Jamestown, NY
example from auction site

The two cabinet cards the left are from Harry J Prudden. So far no connection has been made to G I Pruden.

Not the one you were looking for? Here's the photographer's INDEX by name. Listed here are all the Cabinet Card photographers of the 19th century found in LOST GALLERY. This is a work in progress. For a look at the original postings go to LOST GALLERY.

New examples and additional information are always welcome. Any additional information will help narrow the time that these precious antiques were made. All submissions should be free of glare and shadows. Do not crop. Leave a border around each card. The edges are sometimes an important clue to the age of the card.

Some examples on this page have been enhanced or restored for clarity and presentation here.

This page is free for educational and research purposes only but, as always, if the original owner of any of these examples objects to the use on this page, just let me know and they will be immediately removed.

4 comments:

  1. I have an identified cabinet card photograph taken around 1900 by G.I. Pruden in Seneca Falls, NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I have not been able to find many examples of his work. If you would like to add your example to the page send a scan or photograph including all edges to the address in the profile at the bottom of this page. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have a cabinet card of my great grandmother taken in 1891 (written on the back by her daughter, my grandmother). The card has the logo information on the bottom front: G.I.Pruden Extra Finish. Cortland, N.Y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your dated card would help others with similar card imprints. It would be a fine addition to the page. Please send a good scan or photo (including edges) of your card to the address in the profile at the bottom of this page. Thank you!

      Delete

Old stuff here...

About Me

My photo
I am 4' 3", eat small insects, dress in the dark and take annual showers. phase65@yahoo.com